Thursday, January 5, 2012

No Peeking!

Everyone has to admit that at some point in their lives they have looked at someone else and deep down wished life had handed them the same bunch of roses that the other had. We don't dare call it "envy" or "covetousness", because those would be sins and we wouldn't do that...right? At least we try to convince ourselves that. I have been guilty of that in the past. For right now, things are definitely looking up, I am so very thankful to say. Haven't been looking over the fence to see if the neighbors have greener grass in awhile. Give me time, I'm sure I will! It's just something, especially females, do. However, I read Psalm 73 today and the Lord touched my heart with the entire chapter. It is definitely a repellent to tuck away and pull out to use when the Green-Eyed-Monster rears her ugly head again.

So here is the paraphrase of the chapter. You'll just have to read it for yourself to get the whole mouthful. I think it may be too long to post on here, but just take and click this link and look up Psalm 73 via Bible Gateway.

The writer is believed to be Asaph. He starts out by saying that God is good to Israel but as for him, well, he's not doing so well. He's slipping, he has no strength, and he feels pretty beaten down. However, he looks at the prospering unsaved man and is dismayed at how well off that man seems. His strength doesn't waiver, he doesn't seem to have any troubles, he is arrogant and still he prospers - he has more than his mind could have ever set his sights on. And here the godly man is trying to do right and all he has is pain, agony, and a large lack of riches. Asaph even says he's tried to be godly in vain because no good has come to him from it. Here the unsaved man just continues to live in sin without Christ and he is increased on every side. What's the use!

Side note: Doesn't it always seem that way? Look at the missionaries who go and give their entire lives to spreading the Gospel to others? They don't usually have "much", as in money or things. Then there's you and me who love the Lord and try to do right and we have nothing compared to the movie stars and the bankers and the big business owners, who used lies and deceit to get to the top. Of course there's a lot of "rich" people who made their way upwards with honesty and hard work, so I cannot use absolutes when describing those who have a lot monetarily. (And as a side note to the side note: I know there's a lot of good Christians that God has blessed with large incomes and wealth, but for the sake of my point, forget that for a minute, to make my comparison easier.)

Then for the climax, Asaph announces, "Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end." I love how real the Bible is. I love how Asaph really had us understanding his turmoil and despair and then in a sentence abruptly stops our sadness for him with a complete change of heart. He gets it. The unsaved may prosper, but it's only but for a short while. His day is quickly approaching when his riches will drop off of him like a heavy weight and he will be standing before our Almighty God, Who will not measure how well he did on earth with possessions and money, but will look at him with the knowledge of whether he ever trusted Him or not. And if that man had been given the opportunity countless times to accept Christ and didn't, what a devastating blow to truly know that all of his success never mattered at all. Then the saved but not so rich man will stand before God and suddenly, he will find that the whole time, on earth and then in heaven, he was the richest of them all.

Asaph finishes the chapter, after his great amazement of understanding, that he has been an ignorant animal to feel that way and not see that God was counseling him and holding him up and would until it was time to go to heaven. He asks the rhetorical question of who else truly was there for him anywhere except for the Lord anyway! He states how good it is to draw close to the Lord. And how hard would it be to draw so close to the Lord if we didn't depend on Him?

I don't feel as if I am adequately explaining what touched me so, but just know that the chapter is a wonderful reminder of when things seem tough and others' lives seem so easy, God is all we really need and we are rich in Him. I can honestly be transparent with you and say I have carried thoughts way deep down inside of how pretty other people's houses are or how well people match their expensive clothes together and wonder what it would be like financially if we didn't work in the ministry. Those feelings are pretty normal for us carnal humans but I just have to remember if those thoughts creep back in, that I AM rich in the Lord and I have something of greater value than any house could ever hold- a Father Who takes care of me and loves me.

Like I said though, it feels like spring time right now for the little Bradford family. Blessings have flooded our gates and I am completely humbled by the kindness of others and the doors being opened right now that seemed barricaded tightly before. We put an offer on a house that has been accepted but awaiting bank approval for the seller. It's hopeful! However, as usual, one set back and I'll be peeking over the fence again I know. Counting on that Still, Small Voice that will remind me of Psalm 73 and hoping He'll remind you of it too if you start peeking as well. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment